Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pressure.

There's a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way. Whether it's what we see on tv or in magazines to what we see walking right down the street. It's a lot to put on someone. And usually not very realistic.



For years, I told myself I wanted to look like this person or that person and I would go to crazy lengths to try to achieve that look...the look I thought that I needed to be. I remember eating pretzels & diet mountain dew for lunch...and nothing else. I would do hours of cardio, go low carb, only liquids....just crazy things. I thought I was doing my body good...honestly, it's what has ruined me to this point. My body has been through such a whirlwind of diets & fads that it's just done. So now, when I'm finally getting it right & eating correctly, working out...my body doesn't do what it should do. It's taken me a long time to figure out that what my body requires and that is watching my food and a hard ass workout. I'm talking red faced, wet underwear sorta workout. 

Society has lead us to believe there is a certain look we must attain, and that's just garbage! Why strive to look like someone else? Work your body to the bone to achieve unrealistic results? For whatever reason, we do it...I did it. But I'm not doing it anymore. When I walked into weight watchers almost 2 weeks ago, they set my goal weight at 140lbs. 140lbs? Really? Honestly I feel like that is a very unrealistic goal. I haven't weighed that as an adult, ever! At my lowest, I was 120lbs and 15 years old. My body is different now. I've had 3 children. I literally  looked right at the lady and said, "yeah, I'm never gonna get to that." She looked at me like I was crazy and tried to say all the nice things you say to someone who is feeling down. Thing is, I didn't feel down about that number I just know it's not for me. I want to be strong & powerful & getting my body down to 140lbs isn't going to make me the person I want to be. So for right now, I'm taking one day at a time. One pound at a time. I'm not sure what my ultimate weight will be...honestly I don't care, I don't need the pressure. I want to be comfortable and happy with my body. I want to look good in a bathing suit. 

Don't let pressure talk you into unrealistic goals. It may seem like a good idea now but once the time comes, your only gonna feel worse. And it'll only take longer to do what you set to do in the first place. 

1 comment:

  1. Well said..congrats on knowing what your goal will look like and that it's not necessarily attached to a #.

    ReplyDelete